Unfortunately, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for teens.(CDC) However, there are some steps you and your teen can take to prevent car crashes and keep you and your loved ones safe.
- Know Your Car: Make sure your teen is familiar with your car. They should be familiar with the different features your car comes with and should always keep the gas tank at least 1/3 full.
- Seat Belts: I can't stress this one enough! No matter how you look at it, seat belts save lives. A driver or passenger will always be safer when wearing a seat belt. Encourage and set the example for your teen to always wear a seat belt.
- Slow Down: Speed limits are there for a reason: to keep you safe! Speeding is one of the main causes of fatalities in teen accidents.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: This can be anything from kids playing near the road, to a sunset that makes it hard to see. You can't always assume a child will stay out of the road, or that another driver will see you even though you are blinded by the sun. Take precautions, and drive carefully.
- Distracted Driving: There are so many distractions as a person drives down the road. You have your cell phone, your friends in the car, a catchy billboard, etc. Always stay focused on the road and be aware of what's going on.
Having an extra driver in the house can definitely be a positive thing. So take the proper precautions and enjoy watching your teen become more independent!