Every year in May, a couple of weeks are set aside to really focus on the wearing of seat belts. This year the National enforcement period will be May 23-June 5. Not only will police officers be enforcing the seat belt laws, but the law in Utah will actually change. This year, as of May 12, a person can now be pulled over, just for not wearing a seat belt. Previously, not wearing a seat belt could only be a secondary offense. (Utah Department of Public Safety)
You've been hearing it for years. Wear a seat belt. Buckle up your kids. Make sure your kids are in the correct car seat/booster seat.
According to Click It Utah, "the seat belt has been credited with saving one million lives." Even if your car has air bags, it's still important to wear a seat belt. A seat belt will help keep you in the correct place to brace you for a crash.
According to Zero Fatalities the following statistics should motivate you to wear your seat belt if you are not in the habit of doing so:
- Seat belts are the single most effective traffic safety device for preventing death and injury.
- Wearing a seat belt also helps the driver stay in the driver seat and helps maintain control of the vehicle.
- 3 out of 4 people who are ejected during a fatal crash die from their injuries.
- Over the last 5 years, almost half of all people (45%) who died on Utah's roads weren't buckled.
- When the driver is unbuckled, 76% of children also ride unbuckled. When the driver is belted, 87% of children also ride with a seat belt. Be an example and buckle up.
- In a crash, unbuckled passengers can become a projective and increase the risk of hurting or killing others in the car by 40%.
Based on a survey prepared by the Utah Department of Public Safety, Utah's seat belt use rate in 2015 was 87.2%, which was 3.8% increase as compared to 2014. To read the complete survey please read more here. So the good news is on a whole, we are improving! More people are wearing seat belts. More people are buckling their kids up. Even when you are taking short trips, you still need to buckle up yourself, and your kids in the proper car seat. It can save your life and the lives of your family members!